Moore Industries is proud to announce the new SFY Functional Safety Frequency-to-DC Transmitter with display including SIL 3 capability. The 2-wire (loop-powered) SFY is ideal for use in your Safety Instrumented System (SIS) in a wide range of process and factory automation monitoring applications and as part of the FS Functional Safety Series providing reliable and accurate monitoring of frequency or pulse signals in SIS. The SFY is approved for single use in SIS up to SIL 2 and in a redundant architecture (1oo2, 2oo3, etc.) up to SIL 3.
The SFY helps provide over speed protection by sending signals that warn the logic solver to alarm or shut down the monitored device for plant, personnel, and process safety and has been certified by exida after rigorous evaluation, to ensure conformance with strict IEC 61508:2010 standards for safety-related applications. Customers in a wide range of industries such as oil & gas, chemical, power generation, pulp & paper manufacturing, nuclear remediation, and petrochemical will find the SFY perfect for use in a wide variety of processes and factory automation SIS including turbine flow meters, magnetic pickups, dry contact closures, variable frequency drives, turbine tachometer generators, rotating equipment, motor and conveyor speed as well as pulse and frequency output transducers.
The SFY can be used in a variety of situations. For example, the SFY can be used for critical compressors that need independent safety protection as part of the SIF to monitor the speed and provide data to a safety logic solver. The SFY can achieve this by attaching a magnetic pickup to the compressor shaft, providing a frequency output. The SFY takes the pickup signal, converts it to a 4-20mA output proportional to the compressor shaft speed, and transmits it to the SIS Logic Solver. If there is an unwanted change in speed, the change is detected at the Logic Solver.
For the functional safety practitioner, comprehensive FMEDA certified safety data is available upon request. The FMEDA data enables the safety practitioner to determine the SFY’s applicability in specific safety-related applications. The exida certified SFY is input-to-output isolated and RFI/EMI protected, making it resistant to unpredictable ground loops and the harmful effects of plant and equipment noise. It is also available in explosion-proof/flameproof housings for use in hazardous environments. The SFY converts the input signal to a proportional isolated 4-20mA output ready for direct interface with a Safety System, readout instrument, recorder, PLC, DCS, or SCADA system.
For versatility, each SFY comes with our free Intelligent PC Configuration Software (Windows® compatible) on CD allowing easy configuration of the SFY in minutes. The SFY installs quickly in harsh conditions using Moore Industries’ protective field-mount enclosures, or on a surface, DIN-rail or relay track.
Key features of the SFY include:
- exida certified to IEC 61508:2010 - Certified by exida to IEC 61508 for systematic integrity up to SIL 3 and for random integrity up to SIL 2.
- Comprehensive FMEDA certified safety data – Upon request, exida certified FMEDA data is available for a functional safety practitioner to use in determining the SFY’s applicability in specific safety-related applications.
- Exceptional accuracy and long-term stability – Typical accuracy is ±0.025% of span with up to 5 years between scheduled calibrations.
- Sets up in quickly with PC software – You can choose and then view to confirm, all application-specific operating parameters.
- Versatile input choices – Measures frequency ranges between an amazingly low 0.005Hz up to 25kHz; periods from 40microseconds to 200sec and pulse widths from 0.2msec to 200 seconds.
- Programmable moving average filter – Minimizes measurement instability caused by the effects of bent turbine blades and other frequency variations.
- User-configurable display – A 5-digit LCD shows the process variable in selectable engineering units.
- Input-to-output isolated and RFI/EMI protected - Resistant to unpredictable ground loops and the harmful effects of plant and equipment noise.
Need to get price or availability or have a technical question?
Send us a message using E-Help.